As the sun sets on 2016, it’s time to start reminiscing on the past 12 months and making (sometimes) unrealistic goals and promises for the next. Looking back at 2016 proved to me that this year was unlike any other. World events aside, here’s what I’d like to personally remember from 2016:
The Highlight Reel
- Celebrated my 1 year anni of being a NYC resident
- Completed 25 books (out of 36, but still)
- Binge-watched the entire series of both Homeland and Gilmore Girls in timely manners
- Went on a few trips – definitely not enough though
- Started as a Junior Committee Member on the Pajama Program‘s Young Professionals Board (formerly Junior Board) and was advanced to an official YP Board Member
- Was promoted at work
- Remained in touch with both new and old friends, near and far
- Developed and maintained a decently healthy, well-balanced lifestyle (ha, but trying)
Overall, I’m very fortunate for the year I had. If you even read one newspaper at all on any given day of 2016, you’d know this was a rough year all around, for lots of different public and personal reasons (RIP so many celebs). I had my struggles, but in the grand scheme of things, a little financial instability and job confusion are nothing compared to what really matters. I’m thankful for having a wonderful support system of family, friends and followers, I’m thankful for the people who don’t spread the negativity but instead strive for positivity, and I’m thankful 2016 is over.
And for 2017…
Like I said, I’m appreciative of my year, but it was kind of boring. By trying so hard to get my feet on the ground, I skipped over a lot of what I really love to do, such as travel and explore, host events and give back. I’m envisioning my 2017 to include all of this, so I’m really excited. This is not a new year’s resolution, I don’t particularly like making those. Instead, it’s a promise to myself to loosen the reigns a little bit. Life’s short, buy the shoes (or hop on the plane, eat the cake, visit the museum, etc.)!
Happy New Year!